Monday 18 May 2009

Courgettes and squashes

We were away last weekend, but Jeremy kept the allotment ticking over with some hoeing and watering and stuff. This weekend, I went up a couple of times - more hoeing and hand-weeding around the onions and salad bed (still no definite sign of spinach or rocket or whatever it was I planted in the first row). Meanwhile, Jeremy mowed the orchard to keep it looking good. There's showers forecast for most of this week, so we shouldn't need to go down and do any more watering before next weekend.

I also planted out the 2nd batch of courgettes (2 of them), as the first lot had completely wilted, unsurprisingly - we only planted out the first lot because they were looking unhappy in the kitchen. The 2nd lot look much healthier. I've put 2 courgette seeds directly in the ground as well and watered them in thoroughly, so we'll see if that works.

Back home, the mixed squashes are looking good - the fastest-growing ones will need planting out soon. I had a look at the (globe) artichokes, and decided that they could do with moving into bigger individual pots, so I did the first 8 or so. I need some more pots! I can go over to Notcutts, though, and pick some up there - they've got a pot recycling box by the front door, so people can return old pots and other people can pick them up.

The spring onions and leeks are coming along nicely - they'll need planting out next weekend, I think. The plan then is also to re-cover the fruit cage with netting, as we can definitely see some gooseberries developing, at least.

No comments: